SAN DIEGO ( TheStreet) -- Wearing a $35,000 Rolex can certainly help spruce up one's image.
But what about selling such an expensive watch? How far does that go toward image improvement?
The seller in question is Sears (SHLD), a retail giant most Americans have long associated with value shopping and items such as washers and dryers, refrigerators and tools.
The selling of luxury items, however, including Rolex watches, Stella McCartney clothing, Jimmy Choo shoes and Chanel handbags has garnered the company a lot of press in recent weeks.The items are being sold by third-party vendors on a part of the Sears website known as the Marketplace. Their appearance among the more than 85 million items Sears sells online has many journalists and retail analysts wondering if Sears is trying to upgrade its blue-collar image -- or even positioning itself to take on two other e-commerce giants -- Amazon (AMZN) and eBay (EBAY). A Sears representative says the company has been selling various ultra-expensive items on its website for quite some time.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV