Liz Johnson Beats Wes Malott In U.S. Open's First-Ever "Battle Of The Sexes" Special Final Match
COLUMBUS, Ohio, July 27, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- For the first time in the history of any U.S. Open competition, a "Battle of the Sexes" champion has been crowned. In a day of championship competitions at the 2013 Lipton Bowling's U.S. Open, Liz Johnson, who took home the women's title, is also the inaugural winner of the "Battle of the Sexes" special final match. Johnson defeated men's champion Wes Malott by a score of 194-188 to lay claim to the ultimate bragging rights.
Following a week of bowling that included more than 50 games apiece culminating in two riveting finals matches in the men's and women's tournaments, Johnson and Malott fought past fatigue in the "Battle of the Sexes," broadcast live on ESPN and played at Columbus Western Bowl and presented by the Bowling Proprietors' Association of America (BPAA).The win marked the third U.S. Women's Open title for Johnson and first major victory for Malott, who now owns eight Professional Bowlers Association Tour titles. Johnson and Malott each earned $50,000 for winning their respective events, and Johnson earned an additional $10,000 for winning the "Battle of the Sexes." "It's still going to take some time to process all of this," Johnson said. "Coming into the week, I felt really strong physically and mentally prepared for sure, and it's nice to have so much support from my family and friends." Johnson opened the U.S. Women's Open championship match with six consecutive strikes on the way to a 257-195 win over defending champion and top seed Kelly Kulick of Union, N.J. "I am so fortunate to be part of such an elite group now," said Johnson, who also won the U.S. Women's Open in 1996 and 2007. "I am so proud of this week, and I can't believe this is my third title here. To win this week, after such a grind in three different centers, is amazing."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV