First In Class Once-Daily Dual Bronchodilator Ultibro® Breezhaler® (QVA149) Gains Positive CHMP Opinion For The Treatment Of COPD
TOKYO, July 27, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
- QVA149 (indacaterol/glycopyrronium) is the first once-daily fixed-dose combination of both a LABA and a LAMA bronchodilator to gain positive CHMP opinion
- Pivotal Phase III IGNITE data showed QVA149 significantly improved lung function and patient-reported outcomes including breathlessness and rescue medication use, compared to current standard of care [1 ]
- QVA149 demonstrated significantly reduced rates of COPD exacerbations and improved health-related quality of life compared to open-label tiotropium 18 mcg and glycopyrronium 50 mcg [2 ],[ 3 ]
Sosei Group Corporation ("Sosei"; TSE Mothers Index: 4565) confirms the information released by Novartis that the European Medicines Agency's Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) has adopted a positive opinion for approval of once-daily Ultibro ® Breezhaler ® (indacaterol 85 mcg/glycopyrronium 43 mcg delivered dose, equivalent to 110 mcg/50 mcg metered dose per capsule), as a maintenance bronchodilator treatment to relieve symptoms in adult patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Ultibro Breezhaler was developed under the name of QVA149.
QVA149 is an investigational fixed dose combination of two bronchodilators, indacaterol, a long-acting beta 2-adrenergic agonist (LABA) and glycopyrronium, a long-acting muscarinic antagonist (LAMA).
QVA149 significantly improved the rate of all exacerbations compared to open-label (OL) tiotropium 18 mcg, glycopyrronium 50 mcg [ 3 ]. The rate of moderate or severe exacerbations was significantly lower compared to glycopyrronium 50 mcg and numerically lower compared to OL tiotropium 18 mcg [ 2 ] , [ 3 ].In clinical studies, QVA149 demonstrated an acceptable safety profile with no meaningful differences between the treatment groups (placebo, indacaterol 150 mcg, glycopyrronium 50 mcg, OL tiotropium 18 mcg, SFC 50 mcg/500 mcg) in the incidence of adverse and serious adverse events [ 2 ] , [ 4 ] , [ 5 ]. The European Commission generally follows the recommendations of the CHMP and normally grants a marketing authorization within three months of the opinion. Worldwide submissions and reviews of QVA149 are ongoing with US filing expected at the end of 2014.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts