You Wouldn't Expect this Home Burglary Trend
By Juliette Fairley
NEW YORK ( MainStreet) -- Celebrities like Paris Hilton and Orlando Bloom in the film Bling Ring aren't the only ones experiencing home invasions and burglaries.
The number of burglaries experienced by U.S. households is 3.4 million, according to a report called Household Burglary by the Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS), and the median financial loss during completed burglaries is $2,120.
When thieves break into homes, there's a greater chance of them doing so during the day when most people are at work. Also, around 40% of annual household burglaries are not forced entries, meaning someone was able to walk, climb or crawl inside of houses almost as easily as if the owners left a key in the door or under the welcome mat.
- 1. Safety or tempered glass is a stronger version of ordinary glass. "Windows are critical to a home's design and comfort, and they need to be periodically evaluated to make sure they are both safe and effective," Smith said.
- 2. Trim shrubs so windows and doors are in full view from the street. Unobstructed doors and windows are a deterrent because the intruder is forced to work in the open where detection is likely more quickly
- 3. Maintain adequate lighting, especially at vulnerable entry points.
- 4. Always keep garage doors locked. This prevents burglars from entering your home through the hinged door leading from the attached garage to the house.
- 5. All exterior doors should be metal clad or solid hardwood. Doors of this type resist forced entry because they are not easily battered or bored.
- 6. Install window film for added protection. Glass that has window film adhered to it is not always easily identified. "It can delay the length of time it takes for a thief to gain entrance by making it harder to get through the glass," said Smith.
- 7. Install a 180 degree wide-angle viewer in exterior door to see who is at the door before opening it. These viewers are available from locksmiths and hardware stores.
- 8. Leave lights on when you go out. If you are going to be away for any length of time, connect some lamps to automatic timers to turn them on in the evening and off during the day.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV