Summary Notice Of Pendency Of Derivative Action, Proposed Settlement Of Derivative Action, Settlement Hearing And Right To Appear In Re Clear Channel Outdoor Holdings, Inc. Derivative Litigation
The SLC (acting for and on behalf of the Company), in the exercise of its business judgment, has determined that it is in the best interests of the Company and its stockholders that the Derivative Action be fully and finally settled in the manner and upon the terms and conditions set forth in the Stipulation, and that the terms and conditions are fair, reasonable, and adequate. The SLC has reached this conclusion only after a comprehensive consideration of the pertinent factual and legal issues surrounding the allegations made in the Verified Stockholder Derivative Complaint, as well as additional possible claims identified by the SLC, and only after an extensive investigation that spanned more than six months. In addition, the SLC’s determinations were informed by various prudential considerations, including the costs (financial and otherwise) of litigation, the uncertainty and risk inherent in any litigation, the potential disparity between the costs associated with continued litigation and a potential recovery sufficient to justify those costs, the availability of relief through this Settlement that would not be available through litigation, and the possibility that continued litigation would threaten harm to the Company’s reputation and distract the Company’s board of directors and senior management from managing the affairs and operations of the Company.
On March 28, 2013, to avoid the costs, disruption, and distraction of further litigation, and without admitting the validity of any allegations made in the derivative complaints, legal counsel for the defendants entered into a binding memorandum of understanding (the “MOU”) with legal counsel for the SLC and the plaintiffs to settle the Derivative Action. On July 8, 2013, the parties to the MOU executed the Stipulation reflecting the terms of the MOU and presented such Stipulation to the Court for approval.
The principal terms of the Settlement are as follows:
- Not later than ten (10) calendar days after Final Court Approval, the Company will on the same day both (a) notify Clear Channel of its intent to make a demand for repayment of $200 million outstanding under the Note twenty (20) calendar days thereafter (or if that day is not a business day, then the next business day thereafter), and (b) declare a dividend to be paid the same business day that such demand is made, conditioned on Clear Channel having satisfied such demand. On the twentieth (20th) calendar day after providing such notice to Clear Channel (or if that day is not a business day, then the next business day thereafter), Outdoor will demand repayment of $200 million outstanding under the Note. Clear Channel will satisfy the demand the same day it is made.
- Not later than ten (10) business days after Final Court Approval, the Company and Clear Channel will adopt a Note amendment in substantially the form attached to the Stipulation as Exhibit D. The Note amendment will change the Contract Rate such that, in the event that (x) the outstanding balance (which shall be calculated on a daily basis) due under the Note exceeds $1.0 billion, the per annum rate of interest applicable to such excess balance (i.e., the amount that exceeds $1.0 billion) will be (only for so long as the outstanding balance due under the Note exceeds $1.0 billion) an amount equal to the Average Yield-to-Maturity for the series of Clear Channel Reference Notes that has the nearest future maturity date or (y) the Clear Channel Liquidity Ratio is less than 2.0x, the per annum rate of interest applicable to the entire balance outstanding under the Note will be (only for so long as the Clear Channel Liquidity Ratio is less than 2.0x) an amount equal to the Average Yield-to-Maturity for the series of Clear Channel Reference Notes that has the nearest future maturity date. For purposes of determining the Contract Rate, the series of Clear Channel Reference Notes that has the nearest future maturity date shall be determined without regard to any series of Clear Channel Reference Notes that has a maturity date less than 90 calendar days from the date of measurement. If no trades were reported during the month for the applicable Clear Channel Reference Notes, the Average Yield-to-Maturity from the previous month shall be used. If no series of Clear Channel Reference Notes that has a maturity date of 90 days or more from the date of measurement continues in existence on the date of measurement, Average Yield-to-Maturity shall be calculated in the manner described in the three preceding sentences, except that the publicly traded Clear Channel unsecured debt that has the nearest maturity date of 90 days or more from the date of measurement shall be substituted for the Clear Channel Reference Notes. The Average Yield-to-Maturity shall in no event be less than 6.5%, nor greater than 20%.
All capitalized terms in this Notice not otherwise defined herein have the meaning given to them in this Notice and/or in the Stipulation of Settlement in this matter.
Not later than ten (10) business days after Final Court Approval, the
Company will establish a committee of the Board (the “Committee”) for
the specific purpose of monitoring the Note, composed of all
then-serving Independent Directors of the Company, and will adopt a
Committee charter in substantially the form attached to the
Stipulation as Exhibit E. The Committee will be provided reports on a
monthly and annual basis, and will have access to independent legal
and financial advisors. The Committee charter will provide for the
Committee to have the non-exclusive authority (
addition to the authority of the full Board), if the Committee so
desires and believes it to be in the best interests of the Company’s
stockholders, to demand payments under the Note in the following
- if the Clear Channel Liquidity Ratio is less than 2.0x on an actual and projected basis, the Committee will be authorized to demand payment up to the full amount outstanding under the Note; or
- if the Outdoor Public Share is greater than $114.0 million on an actual or projected basis, then the Committee will be authorized to demand payment up to the amount required to reduce the Outdoor Public Share to $85.0 million;
- A comprehensive release from liability arising out of the derivative claims asserted in the Derivative Action.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV