Advisor Opportunity: Investors are Baffled by Bonds
By Hal M. Bundrick
NEW YORK ( MainStreet)--With a bond market that's difficult to navigate, retail investors are lost, without a map and looking for direction. More than half of consumers (51%) will shop for the best price on a gas grill but only 17% will bother to shop for a bargain on a bond, according to a new study from Charles Schwab. In a fixed income market rocked by declining values and higher volatility, offering fixed income guidance may be a remarkable opportunity for financial advisors.
Even the 61% of consumers who describe themselves as proficient bargain hunters are stymied when it comes to buying bonds, even though most realize that the pricing of financial products vary greatly.
"In this low interest rate environment, consumers are hungering for yield. The more you pay for a given bond, the less yield you'll earn on it," says Peter Crawford, senior vice president at Charles Schwab. "The majority of retail investors are informed shoppers and know that bond pricing varies a lot from firm to firm, yet very few of them take the time to shop around."The study revealed that consumers are highly likely to shop for the best prices for cars (80%), airline tickets (77%), HDTVs (71%) and gas grills (51%). And more than 90% of investors say they are confident in their ability to find the best price for these items.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV