KANSAS CITY, Mo., July 26, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Catholic Health Initiatives (CHI), the nation's third-largest faith-based health care system, has improved patient-satisfaction scores and enhanced nursing-care coverage through workforce and operations solutions from Cerner, including the Cerner Clairvia ™ suite.
A team representing fourteen participating CHI hospitals has worked since early 2010 to analyze the workflow of care-management processes as the first important step in improving the allocation of precious resources – including the time nurses spend with patients.
"We are optimizing every moment of care delivery and seeing higher levels of patient and staff satisfaction with Care Value System, the internal name for Cerner Clairvia," said Barbara Caspers, CHI's vice president of nursing operations and acute-care practice.The efficiency of nurses is critical to ensuring patient safety, reducing costs and heightening patient satisfaction. Studies suggest that elements of the current hospital work environment contribute to inefficiencies and stress for hospital nurses, limiting the time they can spend on direct patient care. In fact, the Institute of Medicine cites in a 2012 publication that hospital nurses spend only about 30 percent of their time on direct patient care. "Our goal was to implement standardized, team-centric processes supported by real-time, patient-specific progress data on the quality of care, costs and outcomes," said Caspers. "We have achieved that goal." The results show significant improvements in patient and staff satisfaction:
- Significant increase in patient satisfaction (HCAHPS) scores for discharge information within the first month of starting the process;
- Savings of nearly $1.5 million from reduced overtime, and $3 million from reduced length of stay;
- Evidence-based acuity system tied to clinical documentation for efficient and effective nursing care coverage.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts