Stevie Wonder Boycott Still Shy of Artists' Support
Wonder himself made the issue even more complicated by extending his personal boycott beyond Florida to an unnamed list of states and countries that support such "Stand Your Ground"-type laws. Some 30 states have some version of the law on their books. That is a one big, nebulous list.
Add into that the arguable role of the "Stand Your Ground" law in the actual verdict and you've got . . . a great excuse for artists to stare at their shoes and do nothing.
To start a flood of support, the boycott would have to be very popular. For that, it would take the PR machine of a few more highly recognized artists, like those mentioned by Ryan, coming out in public support of at least the Florida boycott part of Wonder's statement. It remains to be seen if that will happen.
To help the process, Wonder should issue a followup statement clarifying the extent of his boycott, creating a reasonable goal for other leading entertainers and specifically calling on them to join him. It may be his personal choice, as he insisted in his announcement, but it has much larger implications for the music community. By doing that, he could help others make their own personal choice.-- Written by Carlton Wilkinson in New York Follow @CarltonTSC
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV