A.M. Best Co. has assigned a debt rating of “a” to the recently issued $500 million 4.6% senior unsecured note, due 2043 of The Travelers Companies, Inc. (Travelers) (headquartered in New York, NY) (NYSE: TRV). The assigned outlook is positive.
The proceeds from the debt issuance will be used to fund a portion of the purchase price of The Dominion of Canada General Insurance Company (The Dominion) (Toronto, Canada), one of the largest property/casualty insurers in Canada and for general corporate purposes. The debt offering is pursuant to a shelf registration statement filed with the Securities & Exchange Commission. While Travelers’ financial leverage will modestly increase, it will remain within A.M. Best’s guidelines to support its current ratings.
The rating recognizes Travelers’ strong risk-adjusted capitalization, favorable operating and underwriting results, dominant market profile in commercial and personal lines (largely distributed through independent agents) as well as its quality management team. In addition, Travelers’ superior product breadth, industry leading data analytics and leading position within its distribution network have enabled it to report a trend of strong earnings, which outperform the majority of its peers.
The methodology used in determining these ratings is Best’s Credit Rating Methodology, which provides a comprehensive explanation of A.M. Best’s rating process and contains the different rating criteria employed in the rating process. Best’s Credit Rating Methodology can be found at www.ambest.com/ratings/methodology.A.M. Best Company is the world's oldest and most authoritative insurance rating and information source. For more information, visit www.ambest.com. Copyright © 2013 by A.M. Best Company, Inc. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV