The Importance of Saving (Part I)
Through her 30s, our individual who makes $50,000 annually will take home $36,000. Through her 40s, our individual who makes $60,000 annually will take home $43,200. Through her 50s, our individual who makes $70,000 annually will take home $50,400.
Based on these figures, we will attempt to shape the IRA contributions. Right now, the highest contribution for savers under the age of 50 is $5,500 per year. Hopefully, through her 20s our individual has saved $5,500 that she can deposit into her brand-new Roth IRA. Because of how contributions work, you can actually make deposits into your Roth for the previous calendar year, up until mid-April of the current year.
That may seem a little confusing. Basically, if it's March 2013, for example, you can make up to $5,500 in deposits to your Roth IRA for 2012, while still being able to contribute the full $5,500 for 2013 as well. Essentially, it opens your savings window to 16 months rather than 12.
To see how our guinea pig investor does on her long-term savings goals, read part II of this article. The results are fascinating!Also, check out MainStreet's IRA page for more tips and ideas on saving. At the time of publication the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @BretKenwell This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV