The Santa Monica, Calif.-based firm will buy back around 429 million shares from Vivendi for $5.83 billion, or $13.60 a share. An investor group led by Activision CEO Bobby Kotick and Co-Chairman Brian Kelly will also purchase approximately 172 million Activision shares from Vivendi for $2.34 billion, or $13.60 a share.
Activision shares climbed 16.27% to $17.65 before market open. The video game giant was also one of the most active pre-market Nasdaq stocks on share volume of 2,130,039.
Zynga (ZNGA) shares, however, tumbled 16.57% to $2.92 as investors responded to the company's weaker-than-expected guidance, released with its second-quarter results on Thursday. Investors also reacted negatively to the firm's decision to move away from real money gaming in the U.S."Investors have been closely watching the potential for Zynga in real money gaming," wrote Arvind Bhatia, an analyst at Sterne Agee, in a note released on Friday. "Bulls have argued this opportunity is large and is a reason to own the stock." Bhatia, however, says the move could mean greater focus on Zynga's core business, potentially positive in the long term. The analyst has a "neutral" rating on Zynga. The social gamer was also the most active pre-market Nasdaq stock on share volume of 3,828,208. Expedia (EXPE) was another laggard, plunging 23.31% to $49.85 on share volume of 651,821. The online travel site missed Wall Street's top and bottom line estimates when it reported its second-quarter results after market close on Thursday. Shares of Facebook (FB), which trounced Wall Street's second-quarter estimates on Wednesday, slipped 1.51% to $33.84. Amazon (AMZN), which reported a second-quarter miss on Thursday, was off 1.42% to $299.09. --Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV