By Pete Najarian, co-founder of OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Bulls piled into NRG Energy Thursday, looking for the power producer to test recent multi-year highs.
OptionMonster's tracking systems detected heavy buying as nearly 18,000 December 29 calls traded Thursday, led by prints of 10,000 and 4,000 that went for $1.30. These are definitely new positions, as open interest in the strike was just 442 contracts before the trades crossed our scanners.
NRG rose 0.36%, to $27.53 Thursday, ahead of the company's second-quarter results on August 9. The stock has pulled back, since peaking at $29.19 on July 19 -- its highest price since September 2009 -- but is still up some 20%, since the start of this year.Thursday's long calls, which lock in the price where traders can buy the stock, are looking for NRG to rally back above that $29 level by mid-December. But if it stays below that strike price, the calls could expire worthless. Our systems also found upside action in the December 28 and 30 calls Thursday. Total option volume in the name topped 26,500 in the session, nearly 10 times its daily average, with overall calls outnumbering puts by 23 to 1. Najarian owns NRG calls.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV