Minister Lisa Raitt Meets With Elected Officials From MÃ©gantic Region
DORVAL, QC, July 25, 2013 /CNW/ - Today, the Honourable Lisa Raitt, Minister of Transport, met with elected officials from the Eastern Townships, including several mayors, to listen to their concerns regarding rail safety in their respective communities and respond to their questions, as a beginning of an ongoing dialogue.
"The tragedy in Lac-Mégantic will be imprinted in the collective memory of generations to come, " said Minister Raitt. "We continue to mourn the loss of life following the accident in Lac-Mégantic. We must never forget the lives lost and the entire community affected by this tragic event."
The elected officials from the Mégantic region that met with the Minister included Bernard Sévigny, Mayor of Sherbrooke, Pauline Quinlan, Mayor of Bromont, Vicki May Hamm, Mayor of Magog, Arthur Fauteux, Mayor of Cowansville, Jacques Demers, Mayor of Sainte-Catherine-de-Hatley, Joseph Hüsler, Mayor of Farnham, and Maurice Bernier, the Préfet of the Regional County Municipality of Le Granit.
"The concerns of the mayors are quite legitimate — they want to ensure safety in their communities, balanced with the needs of their economy. This is the goal of the federal government as well," added Minister Raitt.Although the cause of the July 6 th accident remains unknown at this time, Transport Canada continues to collaborate in the ongoing investigations. The department's inspectors are on site to determine whether there has been non-compliance with regulatory requirements. Railway safety regulations exist to ensure the safety and protection of the public. Should anyone be found to have contravened any federal transportation regulations, Transport Canada will not hesitate to take whatever course of action is available.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV