This story has been updated with comments from Starbucks' earnings conference call.
The company said that for the June-ending quarter net earnings rose 25% to $417.8 million, or 55 cents a share. Revenue rose 13% to $3.74 billion.
The results beat the consensus estimate of a 53-cent profit among analysts polled by Thomson Reuters. Revenue was expected to rise 12.5% to $3.72 billion.Global comparable store sales were up 8%; same-store sales in the United States jumped 9% during the quarter. Starbucks said comparable sales in its China and Asia Pacific markets rose 9%, double from the fiscal second quarter. Starbucks' Americas segment is "firing on all cylinders," fueled by a "transformed and reinvented food program," Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz said on the conference call. However, CFO Troy Alstead cautioned that Starbucks does not expect a repeat performance in the fourth quarter. "A number of fantastic things came together" to make that happen, he said on the conference call. As the company looks to the fourth quarter and to fiscal 2014, it expects sales comps between 5% and 7%, roughly in line with the first half of 2013, he said. During the most recent quarter, the company opened 341 net new stores for a total of 19,209 stores globally, Starbucks said. Shares were up 6.5% to $72.50 in after-market trading. The results "represent the best across-the-board third-quarter performance in our 42-year history," Shultz said in the earnings release. "Our more than 19,000 store global footprint, our fast-growing CPG
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV