This Day On The Street
Continue to site right-arrow
ADVERTISEMENT
This account is pending registration confirmation. Please click on the link within the confirmation email previously sent you to complete registration.
Need a new registration confirmation email? Click here
TheStreet Open House

XL Group And Stone Point Capital Form New Company Focused On Reinsurance Capital Markets Products

Stocks in this article: XL









DUBLIN, Ireland, July 25, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- XL Group  ("XL") (NYSE: XL) and private equity firm Stone Point Capital LLC (" Stone Point") announced today the formation of a new Bermuda-based company to act as an investment manager in insurance-linked securities (ILS) and other reinsurance capital markets products.  XL has a 75% ownership stake in the company and funds managed by Stone Point have the remaining 25% ownership. 

When operations are fully commenced, the focus of the company will be on ILS and index-linked products as well as on XL-designed reinsurance products. The parties intend to invest up to an aggregate of $135 million in funds to be formed, alongside potential third party investors. The new company will offer investors unique access to both reinsurance capital markets products as well as more traditional reinsurance opportunities, including certain risks currently written by XL. Investors will also benefit from XL's underwriting excellence, strong enterprise risk management, analytical strength and respected insight in the reinsurance market.

XL Chief Executive Officer, Mike McGavick, said: "Given the combined strength of XL's 20-plus years of world-class reinsurance underwriting expertise and Stone Point's proven track record of investment success in the insurance and reinsurance sectors, this initiative fits perfectly with XL's continuing objective to offer innovative products to our clients and enhance profitability and long term value for shareholders."

Charles A. Davis, Stone Point's Chief Executive Officer, said: " Stone Point is delighted to be partnering with XL on this venture.  Stone Point's relationship with XL dates back to 1986 when our team assisted with the formation of the company.  We believe that the convergence of the traditional insurance and reinsurance markets, and the capital markets will continue.  This initiative with XL is designed to offer third-party investors an opportunity to invest in this asset class in partnership with one of the world's premiere reinsurance underwriters."



1 of 3

Check Out Our Best Services for Investors

Action Alerts PLUS

Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.

Product Features:
  • $2.5+ million portfolio
  • Large-cap and dividend focus
  • Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Quant Ratings

Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.

Product Features:
  • Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
  • Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
  • A custom stock screener
Stocks Under $10

Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.

Product Features:
  • Model portfolio
  • Stocks trading below $10
  • Intraday trade alerts
Try it NOW
Try it NOW
Try it NOW

Check Out Our Best Services for Investors

Dividend Stock Advisor

Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.

Product Features:
  • Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
  • Updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
Trifecta Stocks

Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutiny—quantitative, fundamental and technical analysis—to maximize profit potential and minimize risk.

Product Features:
  • Model Portfolio
  • Intra Day Trade alerts
  • Access to Quant Ratings
Options Profits

Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.

Product Features:
  • Actionable options commentary and news
  • Real-time trading community
Try it NOW
Try it NOW
Try it NOW
To begin commenting right away, you can log in below using your Disqus, Facebook, Twitter, OpenID or Yahoo login credentials. Alternatively, you can post a comment as a "guest" just by entering an email address. Your use of the commenting tool is subject to multiple terms of service/use and privacy policies - see here for more details.
Submit an article to us!

Markets

DOW 17,416.85 +225.48 1.31%
S&P 500 2,021.25 +19.09 0.95%
NASDAQ 4,683.4070 +45.4130 0.98%

Partners Compare Online Brokers

Free Reports

Free Newsletters from TheStreet

My Subscriptions:

After the Bell

Before the Bell

Booyah! Newsletter

Midday Bell

TheStreet Top 10 Stories

Winners & Losers

Register for Newsletters
Top Rated Stocks Top Rated Funds Top Rated ETFs