Market share is another moat. Coke is great example, as well as a lesser-known name like Titan International (TWI - Get Report), which is the market leader in extra-large tires for industrial and agricultural uses. Being the lowest cost producer is another great moat, if it can be sustained, and names like Chesapeake Energy (CHK - Get Report) in natural gas and Potash in fertilizer come to mind. Wal-Mart (WMT - Get Report), through its sheer size and price advantage, has created its own moat.It's no coincidence that if you examine the multiyear returns of companies with moats, you are likely going to observe very favorable results, especially the longer the period under examination. And that is the real value of moats -- truly long-term value creation for the business and, most importantly, for stakeholders.
Gad: The Value of Moats
Jul 25, 2013 | 02:00 PM EDT
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV