Scandal at the Morgue: Beware Shady Expenses
By Eric Reed
NEW YORK (MainStreet) -- When you bury a loved one, the last thing you want to deal with is a pushy salesman. Yet, for many people, it turns out that's exactly what's happening.
According to a report from the Federal Trade Commission, a recent investigation found nearly 20% of funeral homes visited were in violation of the agency's consumer protection laws. The businesses in question, 23 out of 127, are spread across eight states and were visited by undercover investigators posing as consumers.
The parlors in question were found in violation of the Funeral Rule, a regulation enacted in 1984 that requires every funeral home to deliver a specific, itemized list of all goods and services called a General Price List, or "GLP." The funeral home must deliver this GLP before offering any kind of package deals and must include realistic information about the customer's actual needs.The FTC adopted this rule to make sure that businesses don't take advantage of consumers when they're at their most vulnerable, swooping in with tied-together packages and easy paperwork for families who are only worried about how they'll deal with the death of a loved one. Easy paperwork is admirable of course, especially during a difficult time, but not when it comes with extra costs lining an imported teak wood coffin. According to Craig Tregillus, Funeral Rule Coordinator for the FTC, this kind of predatory practice used to be commonplace.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV