Jim Cramer of TheStreet told "Mad Money" Research Director Nicole Urken the online retailer has been a pretty controversial stock for quite some time. Many fundamental investors continue to attack the valuation, suggesting that the price is not justified.
However, Cramer refers to Amazon as a "cult stock," which essentially excludes it from the normal valuations and boundaries by which most stocks are measured.
Even though eBay (EBAY), which sold off after reporting earnings last week, is a competitor to Amazon, investors shouldn't expect the same thing to happen."eBay shot themselves in the foot," he said, because the company talked about too many negatives, such as currency headwinds and European woes. Instead, Amazon only gives investors the bare bones, telling investors what they need to know and harping on the future and building out infrastructure. Cramer also added that people buy Amazon stock because they use the service. However, this is different from stocks such as Apple (AAPL), which has product constraints and a lot of competition. Cramer's charitable trust, Action Alerts Plus, has positions in EBAY and AAPL. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV