Trade-Ideas: Barrick Gold Corporation (ABX) Is Today's "Dead Cat Bounce" Stock
- ABX has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $341.2 million.
- ABX has traded 2.4 million shares today.
- ABX is up 3.1% today.
- ABX was down 5.1% yesterday.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in ABX with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for ABX NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on ABX: Barrick Gold Corporation engages in the production and sale of gold and copper. It is also involved in exploration and mine development activities. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 4.4%. Currently there are 3 analysts that rate Barrick Gold Corporation a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 17 rate it a hold. The average volume for Barrick Gold Corporation has been 19.2 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Barrick has a market cap of $18.1 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and metals & mining industry. Shares are down 48.3% year to date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Barrick Gold Corporation as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its expanding profit margins and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including feeble growth in the company's earnings per share, disappointing return on equity and weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The gross profit margin for BARRICK GOLD CORP is rather high; currently it is at 56.04%. Regardless of ABX's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, ABX's net profit margin of 24.64% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- ABX, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 2.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 5.7%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- BARRICK GOLD CORP's earnings per share declined by 18.3% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, BARRICK GOLD CORP swung to a loss, reporting -$0.65 versus $4.48 in the prior year.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, BARRICK GOLD CORP underperformed against that of the industry average and is significantly less than that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Barrick Gold Corporation Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.