OMAHA, Neb., July 25, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The threat of Lyme disease is predicted to be extremely high for dogs in many parts of the country this year, and several areas are also confronted with a high population of mosquitoes (carriers and transmitters of heartworm disease), according to the Companion Animal Parasite Council (CAPC).
Lyme disease is transmitted through the bite of an infected tick and can affect many species, including dogs and humans. Heartworm disease, transmitted through an infected mosquito, is a serious and potentially fatal condition posing great danger to dogs, cats and other species of mammals.
To avert any type of infection or infestation, CAPC recommends year-round prevention for dogs and cats."While virtually all infestations of parasites are preventable, estimates indicate that fewer than half the dogs in the country are protected. Prevention is easy and relatively affordable when compared to the cost and heartache of treating a sick pet," explains Dr. Chris Carpenter, CAPC executive director. Whether avoiding ticks or repelling mosquitoes, it has become increasingly easier for pet parents to provide prevention. "Some topical flea and tick solutions, such as SENTRY® PRO XFT, kill fleas, ticks, flea eggs, flea larvae and repel mosquitoes when used on dogs, according to the label directions," said Dr. Tony Johnson, veterinarian in Indianapolis, Ind. According to Dr. Johnson, steps to help minimize a mosquito's life cycle include:
- Changing the water in birdbaths, pet bowls and wading pools frequently
- Eliminating standing water near animal areas
- Removing tin cans, old tires, buckets or anything that can collect and hold water
- Irrigating the lawn and garden carefully to prevent water from standing for several days
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts