OMAHA, Neb., July 25, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The threat of Lyme disease is predicted to be extremely high for dogs in many parts of the country this year, and several areas are also confronted with a high population of mosquitoes (carriers and transmitters of heartworm disease), according to the Companion Animal Parasite Council (CAPC).
Lyme disease is transmitted through the bite of an infected tick and can affect many species, including dogs and humans. Heartworm disease, transmitted through an infected mosquito, is a serious and potentially fatal condition posing great danger to dogs, cats and other species of mammals.
To avert any type of infection or infestation, CAPC recommends year-round prevention for dogs and cats."While virtually all infestations of parasites are preventable, estimates indicate that fewer than half the dogs in the country are protected. Prevention is easy and relatively affordable when compared to the cost and heartache of treating a sick pet," explains Dr. Chris Carpenter, CAPC executive director. Whether avoiding ticks or repelling mosquitoes, it has become increasingly easier for pet parents to provide prevention. "Some topical flea and tick solutions, such as SENTRY® PRO XFT, kill fleas, ticks, flea eggs, flea larvae and repel mosquitoes when used on dogs, according to the label directions," said Dr. Tony Johnson, veterinarian in Indianapolis, Ind. According to Dr. Johnson, steps to help minimize a mosquito's life cycle include:
- Changing the water in birdbaths, pet bowls and wading pools frequently
- Eliminating standing water near animal areas
- Removing tin cans, old tires, buckets or anything that can collect and hold water
- Irrigating the lawn and garden carefully to prevent water from standing for several days
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV