The Seattle-based retailer lost 2 cents a share on $15.7 billion in revenue during the quarter. Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters were looking for earnings of 5 cents a share on $15.73 billion in revenue.
The company ended the quarter with $3.7 billion in cash at the end of the quarter.
For the third quarter, Amazon expects revenue to be between $15.45 billion and $17.15 billion, growing between 12% and 24% year over year. The company expects to have an operating loss between $440 million and $65 million, compared to $28 million in third quarter 2012.The company will hold a conference call at 5 P.M. EDT to discuss the results. Shares of Amazon rose during the regular session, gaining 1.49% to close at $303.40. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Chris_Ciaccia
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV