Our “Non-GAAP net income attributable to Biogen Idec Inc.” and “Non-GAAP earnings per share - Diluted” financial measures exclude the following items from GAAP net income attributable to Biogen Idec Inc. and diluted earnings per share:
1. Purchase accounting and merger-related adjustments.
We exclude certain purchase accounting related items associated with the acquisition of businesses, assets and amounts in relation to the consolidation of variable interest entities for which we are the primary beneficiary. These adjustments include charges for in-process research and development, the amortization of certain acquired intangible assets and fair value remeasurements of our contingent consideration obligations. The exclusion of these charges provides management and investors with a supplemental measure of performance which the Company believes better reflects the underlying economics of the business.
2. Stock option expense recorded in accordance with the accounting standard for share-based payments.We believe that excluding the impact of expensing stock options better reflects the recurring economic characteristics of our business. 3. Other items. We evaluate other items on an individual basis, and consider both the quantitative and qualitative aspects of the item, including (i) its size and nature, (ii) whether or not it relates to our ongoing business operations, and (iii) whether or not we expect it to occur as part of our normal business on a regular basis. We also include an adjustment to reflect the related tax effect of all reconciling items within our reconciliation of our GAAP to Non-GAAP net income attributable to Biogen Idec Inc. Numbers may not foot due to rounding.
|Biogen Idec Inc. and Subsidiaries|
|(unaudited, in thousands)|
|For the Three Months|
|Ended June 30,|
|Total product revenues||$||1,385,918||$||1,076,800|
|For the Six Months|
|Ended June 30,|
|Total product revenues||$||2,481,697||$||2,052,288|
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts