AVONEX (interferon beta-1a)
AVONEX remains one of the most prescribed treatments for relapsing forms of MS worldwide and continued to gain market share during the second quarter within the injectable segment of the MS market.
Additional Pipeline Development Highlights
During the second quarter, Biogen Idec achieved a number of milestones toward the development of its research and late-stage pipeline:
- In May 2013, Biogen Idec announced it submitted a BLA to the FDA for approval of PLEGRIDY™ (peginterferon beta-1a), the Company’s pegylated subcutaneous injectable candidate for relapsing forms of multiple sclerosis. In June 2013, Biogen Idec also submitted a Marketing Authorisation Application for PLEGRIDY to the EMA. Both filings have been accepted by the respective regulatory authorities and the Company anticipates approval and commercial launch in mid-2014.
- In May 2013, Biogen Idec also announced that the FDA accepted the Company’s BLA for the marketing approval of ELOCTATE™ (recombinant factor VIII Fc fusion protein) for the treatment of hemophilia A. ELOCTATE is the first hemophilia A product candidate in a new class of long-lasting clotting factor therapies being developed with the goal of providing long-lasting protection and reducing the burden of treatment for patients with this chronic condition. The Company anticipates a second quarter 2014 approval and commercial launch of ELOCTATE in the United States.
- In June and July 2013, Biogen Idec showcased new data from a number of development and early-stage research programs at the XXIV International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis (ISTH) Congress. Researchers presented 33 abstracts and 10 presentations on clinical and pre-clinical research in hemophilia, the breadth of which reflects the Company’s commitment to innovation and the scientific advancement of hemophilia treatment and care. Data presented included new analyses of the phase 3 A-LONG study of ELOCTATE and B-LONG study of ALPROLIX™, results of which add to the growing body of evidence supporting the potential efficacy and safety of these long-lasting clotting factor candidates for the treatment of hemophilia A and B. The ISTH Congress was held from June 29 through July 4 in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts