Information and other revenues were $171.1 million this quarter, up 2 percent compared with the same quarter of last year. The increase was primarily due to higher demand for the company’s residential and commercial title information products, partially offset by lower demand for title-related services in Canada.
Total investment income was $25.3 million in the second quarter, an increase of $5.2 million from the second quarter of 2012. This increase was primarily due to higher interest and dividends from the investment portfolio and the impact of certain impairments that negatively affected the second quarter of 2012, partly offset by lower net realized investment gains in the current quarter.
Personnel costs were $340.0 million in the second quarter, an increase of $40.7 million, or 14 percent, compared with the second quarter of 2012. This increase was primarily due to higher staffing levels required to support the increase in order volume and higher incentive compensation driven by the growth in revenues.
Other operating expenses were $216.2 million in the second quarter, up $26.5 million, or 14 percent, compared with the second quarter of 2012. The increase was primarily due to higher production-related expenses and temporary labor costs driven by the increase in order volumes.The provision for policy losses and other claims was $149.5 million in the second quarter, or 14.8 percent of title premiums and escrow fees, up $94.7 million compared with the same quarter of the prior year. The current quarter rate of 14.8 percent reflects an ultimate loss rate of 5.8 percent for the current policy year and an $89.0 million net increase in the loss reserve estimates for prior policy years. The increase in loss reserve estimates for prior policy years reflects claims development above expected levels, primarily attributable to domestic lender policies from policy years 2004 through 2008.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV