“Our business gained momentum in the second quarter as the housing market continued to improve,” said Dennis J. Gilmore, chief executive officer for First American Financial Corporation. “Strength in our title insurance segment drove revenue up 18 percent. Our commercial division’s performance was particularly strong, with revenues up 35 percent compared with last year.
“Year to date, our paid title claims are down 8 percent as compared with the prior year and our most recent policy years continue to perform well, with ultimate loss rates below historical averages. While claims from our legacy policy years have generally declined, they are not falling at the pace that we expected and, as a result, we strengthened our reserves in the quarter. Although the reserve strengthening impacted our otherwise strong results, it does not alter our long-term outlook for the business.
“The strong spring selling season has continued into summer, with resale orders in July remaining at the peak levels of May and June. On the refinance side, the surge in mortgage rates beginning in May impacted transaction activity with orders declining sharply through the end of June, but leveling out thus far in July.
“In June and July, we repurchased 1.6 million common shares at an average price of $21.92 for a total of $36 million. We purchased these shares based on our strong capital position and the long-term value we see in our stock relative to other investment opportunities.”
Title Insurance and Services
($ in millions, except average revenue per order)
| For the Three Months Ended
|Income before taxes||$||73.0||$||118.4|
|Direct open orders||421,500||411,200|
|Direct closed orders||321,300||289,300|
|Average revenue per order||$||10,200||$||7,100|
* Includes commercial activity from the National Commercial Services division only.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV