AvalonBay Communities, Inc. (NYSE: AVB) (the “Company”) reported today that Net Income Attributable to Common Stockholders (“Net Income”) for the quarter ended June 30, 2013 was $36,218,000. This resulted in Earnings per Share – diluted (“EPS”) of $0.28 for the quarter ended June 30, 2013, compared to EPS of $1.63 for the comparable period of 2012, a decrease of 82.8%. For the six months ended June 30, 2013, EPS was $0.89 compared to $2.24 for the comparable period of 2012, a decrease of 60.3%.
The decreases in EPS for the three and six months ended June 30, 2013 from the respective prior year periods are due primarily to additional depreciation expense and expensed transaction costs associated with the Archstone acquisition (as described in our first quarter earnings release dated April 30, 2013). The decrease in EPS for the three months ended June 30, 2013 from the prior year period is also due to a decrease in gains from dispositions of real estate assets. The decreases in both the three and six months ended June 30, 2013 are partially offset by an increase in Net Operating Income (“NOI”) from communities acquired through the Archstone acquisition and existing and newly developed communities.
Funds from Operations attributable to common stockholders - diluted (“FFO”) per share for the quarter ended June 30, 2013 increased 15.7% to $1.55 from $1.34 for the comparable period of 2012. FFO per share for the six months ended June 30, 2013 decreased 9.6% to $2.36 from $2.61 from the prior year period. Adjusting for non-routine items as detailed in the definitions of this release, FFO per share would have increased by 20.9% and 18.6% for the three and six months ended June 30, 2013, respectively, over the prior year periods.
The following table compares the Company’s results for the three months ended June 30, 2013, for both FFO per share as well as for FFO per share adjusted for non-routine items, to the outlook provided in April 2013.
|Second Quarter 2013 Results|
Comparison to April 2013 Outlook
|Projected FFO per share-April 2013 Outlook (1)(2)||$||1.51||$||1.58|
|Overhead and other||(0.01||)||(0.01||)|
|FFO per share - actual (1)||$||1.55||$||1.62|
(1) As Adjusted amounts adjusted for non-routine items presented in the definitions of this release.
|(2) Represents the mid-point of the Company's April 2013 outlook.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV