PASCAGOULA, Miss., July 24, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Huntington Ingalls Industries' (NYSE:HII) Ingalls Shipbuilding division announced today it has delivered the final aft peripheral vertical launch system (PVLS) assemblies to the U.S. Navy for the Zumwalt-class destroyer Michael Monsoor (DDG 1001). The two units for the PVLS were delivered a week early.
A photo accompanying this release is available at http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/prs/?pkgid=20075
"Our shipbuilders have done an outstanding job in incorporating lessons learned from the first aft PVLS products," said Ingalls DDG 1000 Program Manager Steve Sloan. "Delivering these products a week early demonstrates smart shipbuilding by using previous experiences to integrate an improved plan to do it better the second time around. With a constant focus on safety and quality, our shipbuilders have done outstanding work on these units."General Dynamics' Bath Iron Works is building the DDG 1001 hull, while Ingalls is building the PVLS assemblies in Pascagoula and the composite hangar and deckhouse at the company's composite center of excellence in Gulfport. The PVLS distributes the missile launchers for the destroyer in separate four-cell launcher compartments along the ship's hull. It is an alternative to the traditional centralized missile magazines found on DDG 51-class ships. The PVLS launcher configuration was chosen to significantly enhance the ship's survivability.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV