5 Fittest Cities in America
BOSTON (TheStreet) -- Whether you're training to win an Olympic medal or simply hoping to develop a good beach body, here's a look at the five top U.S. cities to move to get in shape.
"These cities are the best choices for people who either want to be become physically active or maintain an active lifestyle," says Dr. Walt Thompson, a Georgia State University researcher who oversees the American College of Sports Medicine's annual American Fitness Index.
The AFI analyzes the country's 50 largest metro areas for 17 health-related factors, from smoking rates to the number of swimming pools per 100,000 residents.
Thompson says the study provides a good picture of not only which cities have health-conscious residents, but also of those that offer the most parks, farmer's markets and other amenities that make fitness easier to achieve."These cities all have kinds of the environments that support healthy behaviors," he says. American College of Sports Medicine prepared the rankings using data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and other public and private agencies. Each city's score represents the average of how it rated on all 17 factors that researchers studied (a locale would have to come in first place in all areas to score a perfect 100). All health statistics refer to residents of a community's entire metro area, but figures on local fitness facilities refer only to those within city limits. The term "average" refers to averages among the 50 cities studied.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV