July 24, 2013
/PRNewswire/ -- Comcast, one of the nation's leading providers of entertainment, information, and communications products and services, today announced the launch of the X1 Platform from Xfinity across
, making the technology available throughout all of New England.
Unlike any other video service available, X1 uses IP technology delivered over Comcast's network to create the world's first Entertainment Operating System. X1 integrates the largest collection of video with social media features, interactive apps, web content and more in one easy-to-navigate, sleek viewing experience.
"The X1 Platform is a huge leap forward for us and transforms traditional television viewing into an entirely new, integrated entertainment experience," said
, Senior Vice President of Comcast's Western New England Region, which includes
. "X1 uses cloud-based technology to make the TV experience smarter, richer and more personalized, and allows us to deliver new features to our customers faster than ever."
The launch of X1 is part of Comcast's ongoing and evolving effort to take advantage of IP technology and the cloud to constantly bring new innovations to market. For example, Comcast has completed more than 1,200 updates to the X1 platform since its launch in 2011.
X1 features currently include:
- A modern user interface that enables one-click access to programs and a highly visual guide to entertainment options and related information
- A personalized viewing experience with recommendations based on search input and previously watched shows and movies
- The ability to search simultaneously across live TV, Xfinity On Demand and DVR recordings – and see the last nine programs watched across all services with a single tap on the remote control
- The ability to watch DVR recordings from any room in the house and simultaneously record up to four shows while watching another
- An expanding selection of tailored-for-TV apps, including social networking, traffic, weather, voicemail, Pandora and a sports app to track multiple games at once and check the latest scores, standings, and schedules while watching a favorite show
- A new "Send to TV" feature that allows customers to send Web content, including videos, and photos from TV-optimized sites, directly to the X1 set top box and view it on the big screen
- An enhanced remote control that offers greater responsiveness and does not require a line-of-sight connection to the set-top-box
In addition, the
X1 Remote App
lets customers use motions, gestures, and voice commands to control their TVs with their Apple handheld devices. For example, customers can swipe their iPhones to page through the interactive TV guide and program personalized short-cuts and favorites ("Quick Links"); shake their device to pause Xfinity On Demand content; and use voice commands to navigate the guide and search for content.
X1 will initially be available to new Xfinity Triple Play customers in
and will become available to additional customer segments in the future. The
is currently available in more than a dozen markets, including
and today's announcement marks the completion of its rollout across New England. Comcast plans to launch the service in all remaining markets by the end of the year.
About Comcast Corporation:
Comcast Corporation (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK) is a global media and technology company with two primary businesses, Comcast Cable and NBCUniversal. Comcast Cable is the nation's largest video, high-speed Internet and phone provider to residential customers under the XFINITY brand and also provides these services to businesses. NBCUniversal operates 30 news, entertainment and sports cable networks, the NBC and Telemundo broadcast networks, television production operations, television station groups, Universal Pictures and Universal Parks and Resorts. Visit
for more information.
SOURCE Comcast Cable