According to the Schwab study, fifty-four percent of investors believe bond prices vary from broker to broker; and 94% of that group believes prices vary moderately or a lot.
So why aren’t these investors shopping around? Schwab’s study found that:
- More than half (53 percent) of investors say they do not know how to get the best price on bonds;
- 43% say it is too complicated to comparison shop for bonds and 47% say it is too hard to see what a bond costs.
“Investors who are focused on value shouldn’t be confused when it comes to bond investing because there are resources that can help. Technology has made the bond market far more transparent for investors, and savvy shoppers now have the ability to bargain shop for bonds,” said Crawford.
Crawford offers three tips for bond investors:
- Ask your broker how he or she is compensated on your bond purchase, and make sure you understand any commissions or mark-ups built into the price (or yield) as well as any additional fees. Unless your broker has a standard mark-up policy, you should ask before every trade.
- Shop around: compare bonds as well as prices. Just like prices for the same bond can vary from brokerage firm to brokerage firm, so can availability. Is your firm able to shop around on your behalf to find the best available bond for your needs, or do they focus on what they have in their own inventory? Doing a little homework to find the right bond and the right price can really pay off.
- Tap into education: take advantage of industry resources, like SIFMA’s investinginbonds.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV