Oh, and did the consensus ever bury the iPad tablet as a new product. If you listened to this call you would have thought an iPad sale is nothing but a sale of a Sony Trinitron television or, worse, a Zenith -- and that Zenith TVs are kind of giveaways that don't matter anymore. Between the sales of the iPhone 4 that cannibalize, and the declining tablet sales, you can only surmise that Apple's doing nothing right and is on its last legs.
What's the truth? Well, how about this? The consensus hates Apple too much. It is tired of Apple telling it how it is doing, and it is now telling Apple how the consensus thinks it is doing. There's only one problem: The stock market doesn't seem to care either way. Information technology is not doing as well as Apple says it is, and it is not as bad as the analysts say either. It's just that the balance of power has shifted, and that makes for some pretty depressing reading until new products come out, and the discourse changes to the positive -- and, with it, the longer-term trajectory of the stock. That's unless, of course, the consensus is right and there is no "there" there -- at least not any longer.
At the time of publication, Action Alerts PLUS, which Cramer co-manages as a charitable trust, was long AAPL.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV