Be Ready to Ride out Bond Market Volatility
By Hal M. Bundrick
NEW YORK ( MainStreet)--Bonds may under siege and investors have been quick to take cover but don't expect a market of mass destruction in the short term. At least one analyst is keeping a cool head under fire.
"We don't see a bond market Armageddon," says Russ Koesterich, chief investment strategist for BlackRock in a research report. "Though rates may overshoot to the upside in the near term and the long-term direction of rates is higher, the most likely near-term rate scenario is for volatile but sideways movement. We believe the 10-year Treasury yield will hover around 2.5% for the foreseeable future. There are a number of factors conspiring to keep a lid on long-term yields including foreign central bank demand for Treasuries."
And, despite recent events, including the Detroit bankruptcy, the analyst is still comfortable with the municipal bond market."We remain overweight municipal bonds," he says. "We believe the recent sell-off was overdone, as evidenced by the partial recovery since late June. Though we aren't likely to see the frothy returns of 2011 and 2012 this year, muni bonds still offer solid fundamentals at attractive prices and a compelling source of income. Credit quality has generally improved from a couple years ago and increasing tax rates should keep demand high. The Detroit Chapter 9 filing remains more of a Michigan-specific issue rather than a broader municipal markets issue and shouldn't have much long-term impact on the broader muni market."
- 1. If the 10-year Treasury yield makes a prolonged and substantial move above 3%
- 2. If the European sovereign debt crisis flares up
- 3. And if tensions rise in the Middle East
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV