EMC (EMC), the data-storage company that owns 80% of VMware, also holds a majority stake in the Pivotal Initiative, although VMware provided most of the programming staff. It took 69% at launch, and VMware took 31%.
In overnight trading, VMware rose 13.64% after announcing a two cent per share beat on earnings, EMC rose 5% after meeting estimates of 42 cents per share, and IBM was up 1%.
For the cloud, however, this is big news. Cloud players have been struggling to provide an alternative to Amazon's infrastructure. IBM's endorsement of a complete platform could make big customers give OpenStack a second look. The hope is that IBM and Pivotal can build Cloud Foundry tools, allowing a relatively painless move of enterprise applications to cloud infrastructure.Chris Ferris, chief technology officer for cloud interoperability at IBM, said OpenStack and Cloud Foundry are complementary. "We're putting our support behind Cloud Foundry and working to have it complement OpenStack," he said. In its press release, IBM noted that the Cloud Foundry software is available as the Github open-source repository as well as at the Pivotal site. Ferris added that the Cloud Foundry announcement is a natural follow-up to plans IBM announced in March to support open standards for its cloud software and services. IBM and Pivotal will co-host a two-day event on Cloud Foundry next month and Pivotal will release a branded and supported version of the software during the fourth quarter. At the time of publication, the author was long IBM and GE. Follow @DanaBlankenhorn This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV