Trade-Ideas: WellPoint (WLP) Is Today's New Lifetime High Stock
- WLP has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $184.0 million.
- WLP has traded 1.9 million shares today.
- WLP is trading at a new lifetime high.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in WLP with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for WLP NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on WLP: WellPoint, Inc., a health benefits company, through its subsidiaries, offers network-based managed care plans to large and small employer, individual, Medicaid, and senior markets in the United States. The company operates through three segments: Commercial, Consumer, and Other. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 1.7%. WLP has a PE ratio of 10.2. Currently there are 7 analysts that rate WellPoint a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 10 rate it a hold. The average volume for WellPoint has been 2.0 million shares per day over the past 30 days. WellPoint has a market cap of $26.1 billion and is part of the health care sector and health services industry. The stock has a beta of 0.60 and a short float of 1.7% with 2.53 days to cover. Shares are up 42.8% year to date as of the close of trading on Monday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates WellPoint as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, attractive valuation levels and increase in net income. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Investors have apparently begun to recognize positive factors similar to those we have mentioned in this report, including earnings growth. This has helped drive up the company's shares by a sharp 36.75% over the past year, a rise that has exceeded that of the S&P 500 Index. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, WLP should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 16.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 14.7%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is somewhat low, currently at 0.61, and is less than that of the industry average, implying that there has been a relatively successful effort in the management of debt levels. To add to this, WLP has a quick ratio of 1.66, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the Health Care Providers & Services industry average, but is less than that of the S&P 500. The net income increased by 3.4% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $856.50 million to $885.20 million.
- You can view the full WellPoint Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts