Based on an earlier analysis (Stage 1) of the CLL11 study, marketing applications for GA101 were submitted to regulatory authorities including the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and European Medicines Agency (EMA) in April 2013. Due to the significance of the positive trial results and the serious and life threatening nature of CLL, the FDA granted the GA101 application both Breakthrough Therapy Designation and Priority Review.
About Obinutuzumab (GA101)
GA101 is the first investigational type II, glycoengineered medicine designed to attack cells that have a certain marker (CD20) on their surface. It attacks targeted cells both directly and together with the body’s immune system. GA101 is currently being investigated in a large clinical program, including multiple head-to-head Phase III studies versus Rituxan in indolent non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma (NHL) and diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL).
In the U.S., GA101 is being developed and will be commercialized in collaboration with Biogen Idec.About the CLL11 Study CLL11 is a Phase III, multicenter, open-label, randomized three-arm study investigating the efficacy and safety profile of either GA101 plus chlorambucil or Rituxan plus chlorambucil compared to chlorambucil alone in 781 previously untreated people with CLL and co-existing medical conditions who are in need of therapy. The study included two stages of analysis.
- Stage 1 included 589 patients and compared GA101 plus chlorambucil to chlorambucil alone and Rituxan plus chlorambucil to chlorambucil alone. Stage 1 results were reported earlier this year and showed that GA101 plus chlorambucil doubled the time people lived without their disease worsening compared to chlorambucil alone (23 months compared to 10.9 months, HR=0.14, 95 percent CI 0.09-0.21, p<.0001).
- Stage 2 (announced today) enrolled an additional 192 patients to enable the final direct comparison of GA101 versus Rituxan, both in combination with chlorambucil.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV