New Children's Defense Fund Report Highlights NRA's Efforts To Hide The Truth About Guns And Block Child Gun Violence Prevention
The NRA also has blocked guns from being regulated as a consumer product. Why in the world do we regulate toy guns and teddy bears and toasters but not a dangerous product that takes about 30,000 lives, including a child's life every 3 hours and 15 minutes? That is special interest power run amok!
Protect Children Not Guns 2013 shows how gun violence exacts a high toll on children and society. The report includes the most recent statistics on child and teen gun deaths and injuries which show that in 2010:
- Guns killed more children under 5 than law enforcement officers in the line of duty: 82 preschoolers, compared to 55 law enforcement officers.
- 18,270 children and teens were killed or injured by guns: the equivalent of 17 classrooms of 20 children every week.
- 45 percent of gun deaths and 46 percent of gun injuries were among Black children and teens, although they comprised only 15 percent of all children and teens.
- Children and teens in America are 17 times more likely to die from gun violence than their peers in 25 other high-income countries combined.
- Children and teens die from gun violence in every state. The deadliest state was Alaska with an average of 8.7 gun deaths for every 100,000 children and teens each year from 2000 to 2010, more than twice the national rate of 3.6. Alaska was 21 times more deadly for children and teens than Hawaii, the safest state.
- Total gun deaths and injuries cost the U.S. $174.1 billion or 1.15 percent of our gross domestic product.
"What is it going to take for our political leaders to place protection of child and teen and adult lives ahead of the protection of guns and profits and their election to office? We can and must do better. Countless lives depend on it. We must push the President, members of Congress, governors, and state legislators to stand up to the NRA, gun manufacturers and sellers until protecting children's lives takes precedence over protecting guns," Edelman urged.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV