New Children's Defense Fund Report Highlights NRA's Efforts To Hide The Truth About Guns And Block Child Gun Violence Prevention
Report Details the Physical and Psychological Impact of Child and Teen Gun Violence
WASHINGTON, July 24, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Today, the Children's Defense Fund (CDF) released a new report, Protect Children Not Guns 2013, describing efforts of the National Rifle Association (NRA) to block the truth about guns and to prevent enforcement of gun safety laws to protect children. While the NRA says they support enforcing gun laws, the report shows their efforts to block gun violence prevention research and make it more difficult for federal, state and local law enforcement agencies to hold criminal gun dealers and gun traffickers accountable.
"As implausible as it might seem, this is our reality as a new CDF public education campaign by Fallon Worldwide shows, nearly three times more children and teens were injured by guns in 2010 than the number of U.S. soldiers wounded in action that year in the war in Afghanistan. America's military and law enforcement agencies have four million guns. Our citizens have 310 million. And we have no idea how many of those guns were purchased without a background check. The gun lobby has been enriching gun manufacturers at the expense of our children's safety for far too long. For years the NRA has blocked the truth, and actively fought against the passage and enforcement of gun safety laws," said Marian Wright Edelman, President of the Children's Defense Fund. "Together we can—and must—raise our individual and collective voices and demand our political leaders do better right now to protect children, not guns."
Working with its allies in Congress, the NRA has succeeded in:
- preventing law enforcement from using gun trace data linking crime guns to the retailers that first sold them in some legal proceedings;
- prohibiting the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) from requiring dealers to keep inventories of their stock of weapons;
- banning ATF's electronic storage of gun sales records thereby preventing efficient analysis of data to find suspicious patterns and identify the sources of crime guns;
- limiting ATF's resources and operating flexibility; and
- banning the disclosure of gun trace data to researchers and the public.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV