GERMANTOWN, Maryland, and HILDEN, Germany, July 23, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
- Molecular testing of biofluids promises unprecedented access to gene mutations, gene expression signatures and expression levels without costly, invasive tissue biopsies
- Developing Exosome Diagnostics technology for use with QIAGEN's nucleic acid-targeted consumables and automation - with initial product launches targeted in 2014
- Standardized, easy-to-use exosome workflows will offer superior testing solutions from basic research to personalized healthcare on widely available PCR, pyrosequencing and next-generation sequencing technologies
QIAGEN N.V. (NASDAQ: QGEN; Frankfurt Prime Standard: QIA) today announced a partnership with Exosome Diagnostics Inc. to develop and commercialize high-performance sample preparation kits for the processing of nucleic acids from exosomes. Combining the Exosome Diagnostics platform technology approach with select QIAGEN consumables and automation platforms has the potential to allow researchers, drug developers and doctors to take repeated, real-time genetic "snapshots" of disease from patients' blood, urine or cerebrospinal fluid without the need for tissue biopsy. The companies are targeting initial product launches in the first half of 2014. Financial terms were not disclosed.
Subject to successful performances of these new solutions, QIAGEN's exclusive agreement with Exosome Diagnostics will cover co-development, manufacturing and commercialization of a full product line for the life science and translational medicine markets. First applications of Exosome Diagnostics' technology are being developed with QIAGEN's microRNA isolation solutions and are designed to run on QIAGEN automated instrument platforms. The product portfolio is also expected to create the basis for development and commercialization of clinical in-vitro diagnostic products for a range of non-invasive personalized healthcare solutions.
Exosomes are one of many different subpopulations of microvesicles that can be isolated from biofluids such as blood, urine and cerebrospinal fluid and from which high-quality RNA and DNA can be extracted and purified for analysis. Exosomes are shed by cells under both normal and pathological conditions. They are a key part of the body's complex communication system that transfers genetic instructions from cell to cell through all biofluids. Exosomes carry nucleic acids and proteins from their host cells and are widely considered to be essential for biomarker discovery for personalized healthcare diagnostics. Tumor cells, for instance, release exosomes which contain tumor-specific RNAs that can be isolated easier from biofluids such as blood and urine than from biopsies. Exosome Diagnostics' proprietary technology makes use of the presence and stability of nucleic acids in exosomes to detect and measure levels of genes implicated in cancer, neurodegenerative, metabolic, infectious and other diseases.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts