The Most Secure Cities in the U.S.
By Juliette Fairley
NEW YORK (MainStreet) -- Bethesda, Maryland, Grand Rapids, Michigan and Pittsburgh are among the most secure cities in the U.S. to live in, according to a new study.
The Farmers Insurance study compiled by Sperling's BestPlaces researchers took into consideration a number of criteria, including economic stability, crime statistics, extreme weather conditions, risk of natural disasters, housing depreciation, foreclosures, air quality, environmental hazards, life expectancy, motor vehicle fatalities and employment numbers.
"Our most secure large metropolitan areas are islands of security in our challenging times," said Bert Sperling, president of Sperling's BestPlaces. "Some have a stable economy due to their local colleges and seats of government, and some may be fortunate that their locale is not prone to hurricanes, tornadoes or earthquakes."
- 1. Bethesda-Gaithersburg-Frederick, Md.
- 2. Grand Rapids-Wyoming, Mich.
- 3. Pittsburgh, Pa.
- 4. Austin-Round Rock, Texas
- 5. Cambridge-Newton-Framingham, Mass.
- 6. Omaha, Neb.-Council Bluffs, Iowa
- 7. San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, Calif.
- 8. San Francisco-San Mateo-Redwood City, Calif.
- 9. Portland-Beaverton, Ore.-Vancouver, Wash.
- 10. Dallas-Plano-Irving, Texas
- 11. Boise City-Nampa, Idaho
- 12. Madison, Wis.
- 13. Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, Minn.
- 14. Raleigh-Cary, N.C.
- 15. Portland-South Portland-Biddeford, Maine
- 16. Essex County, Mass.
- 17. El Paso, Texas
- 18. Honolulu, Hawaii
- 19. Santa Ana-Anaheim-Irvine, Calif.
- 20. Des Moines-West Des Moines, Iowa
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV