By Juliette Fairley
NEW YORK ( MainStreet) -- Bethesda, Maryland, Grand Rapids, Michigan and Pittsburgh are among the most secure cities in the U.S. to live in, according to a new study.
The Farmers Insurance study compiled by Sperling's BestPlaces researchers took into consideration a number of criteria, including economic stability, crime statistics, extreme weather conditions, risk of natural disasters, housing depreciation, foreclosures, air quality, environmental hazards, life expectancy, motor vehicle fatalities and employment numbers.
"Our most secure large metropolitan areas are islands of security in our challenging times," said Bert Sperling, president of Sperling's BestPlaces. "Some have a stable economy due to their local colleges and seats of government, and some may be fortunate that their locale is not prone to hurricanes, tornadoes or earthquakes."
- 1. Bethesda-Gaithersburg-Frederick, Md.
- 2. Grand Rapids-Wyoming, Mich.
- 3. Pittsburgh, Pa.
- 4. Austin-Round Rock, Texas
- 5. Cambridge-Newton-Framingham, Mass.
- 6. Omaha, Neb.-Council Bluffs, Iowa
- 7. San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, Calif.
- 8. San Francisco-San Mateo-Redwood City, Calif.
- 9. Portland-Beaverton, Ore.-Vancouver, Wash.
- 10. Dallas-Plano-Irving, Texas
- 11. Boise City-Nampa, Idaho
- 12. Madison, Wis.
- 13. Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, Minn.
- 14. Raleigh-Cary, N.C.
- 15. Portland-South Portland-Biddeford, Maine
- 16. Essex County, Mass.
- 17. El Paso, Texas
- 18. Honolulu, Hawaii
- 19. Santa Ana-Anaheim-Irvine, Calif.
- 20. Des Moines-West Des Moines, Iowa