NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- With earnings seasons in full speed, there have certainly been some movers. Taking a look at some from Tuesday's early action is TheStreet's Brittany Umar.
In the premarket session, DuPont (DD) reported earnings of $1.28 per share, narrowly beating analysts' estimates of $1.27.
However, the news swirling around DuPont leading into the event had less to do with the company's earnings report and more to do with what activist investor Nelson Peltz, who announced he had a significant position in the stock during last week's Delivering Alpha Conference, wants the company to do.
Specifically, he thinks spinning off certain assets of DuPont will unlock shareholder value. Reportedly, the company announced it was considering this idea and talked about spinning off its performance chemicals unit in an attempt to move away from cyclical businesses.Shifting to some other earnings announcements, United Parcel Service (UPS) also reported quarterly results. The company preannounced earnings of $1.13 per share on July 13. At the time, this was below the consensus of $1.20 in earnings per share. Wendy's (WEN) also reported earnings, which were better than what analysts had expected. With 8 cents per share in earnings, Wendy's beat estimates by 2 cents, with premium products boosting margins and same-store sales. The company, which also reported higher net income, announced that it would be selling 425 company-owned restaurants over the next 12 months in an attempt to reduce the total system ownership. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV