The ESPN contract gives Silver the power to hire people, to bring in more numbers on a variety of topics and analyze them deeply, and to have that analysis written up under his direction, on his label. Silver himself will become a TV star, appearing on ESPN, on ABC during election seasons, and perhaps on other Disney properties where appropriate.
Silver's success proves something important. Being a talking head isn't that big a skill. Even if you have a face for radio and a voice for print, as I do, as Silver does, you can learn to accept pancake makeup and talk toward a camera in something resembling English.
When I was at Medill it was very easy to tell the TV majors from the magazine majors. The magazine majors dressed like students. The TV majors dressed like they were on TV.
Silver's success blows those categories away. Anyone can be a TV star and, if you want to make a success in journalism, TV is a skill set you have to acquire. And the leaders in this field will no longer be just the "journalists" who take paychecks and climb the corporate ladder. They will be the entrepreneurial bloggers who invent themselves, and in so doing re-invent the trade.At the time of publication the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @DanaBlankenhor This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV