By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Traders apparently expect Express Scripts (ESRX) to keep its momentum into early next year.
OptionMonster's tracking systems detected the purchase of 2,000 January 70 calls for $2.95 and the sale of an equal number of January 60 calls for $8.75. Volume was below open interest in the 60s, which suggests that an existing position was closed and rolled to the higher strike.
These calls lock in the price where shares can be purchased in the provider of pharmacy benefits. Investors use them for cheap upside exposure, leveraging small moves and managing risk in the process.In Monday's case, traders had apparently made money on a long bet in the January 60s. Adjusting to January 70s let him or her to collect $5.80 while remaining positioned for further gains. Express Scripts' shares rose 0.86% Monday to close at $67.07, another new all-time high. Earnings have beaten expectations for at least four straight quarters, and the stock has been running since bottoming around $50 in November. The next quarterly report is scheduled for after the close on July 29. Total option volume was twice the daily average in the session, with calls outnumbering puts by a bullish 4-to-1 ratio. Russell has no positions in ESRX.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV