DUBLIN, Ireland, July 22, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Prothena Corporation plc (Nasdaq:PRTA), a clinical stage biotechnology company focused on the discovery and development of novel antibodies for the potential treatment of a broad range of diseases, today announced the appointment of Dennis J. Selkoe, MD to its Board of Directors. Dr. Selkoe joins existing directors Lars Ekman, MD, PhD, Chairman; Dale Schenk, PhD, president and CEO; Richard Collier, Shane Cooke and Christopher Henney, PhD, DSc.
"As the principal founding scientist of Athena Neurosciences and as a previous director of both Elan Corporation, plc and Athena, Dennis has extensive experience in leading biotech innovation. His wealth of scientific research and business knowledge and experience will be critical to us as we develop novel antibodies for the potential treatment of a broad range of diseases and advance these potential therapies through clinical development," said Dr. Ekman. "On behalf of Prothena and the Board of Directors, I welcome Dennis and look forward to drawing upon his depth of scientific and strategic expertise."
Dennis J. Selkoe, MDDennis J. Selkoe, MD is the Vincent and Stella Coates Professor of Neurologic Diseases at Harvard Medical School and co-director of the Center for Neurologic Diseases at The Brigham and Women's Hospital. From July 1996 to July 2009 and from August 2009 until his retirement in May 2013, Dr. Selkoe was a director of Elan. Dr. Selkoe was the principal founding scientist and served as a director of Athena, until it was acquired by Elan in 1996. Dr. Selkoe earned his MD from the University of Virginia School of Medicine and after initial research training at the National Institutes of Health, Dr. Selkoe completed a residency in neurology at the Harvard/Longwood Program and a postdoctoral fellowship in neurochemistry and neuronal cell biology in the Department of Neuroscience, Harvard Medical School.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV