Trade-Ideas: Texas Instruments (TXN) Is Today's Unusual Social Activity Stock
- TXN has 12x the normal benchmarked social activity for this time of the day compared to its average of 2.25 mentions/day.
- TXN has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $264.5 million.
Identifying stocks with 'Unusual Social Activity' tends to be a valuable process for traders looking to capitalize on the 'talk of the town' stocks that are basking in far more attention from the StockTwits financial community than normal. Good press? Bad press? It ultimately doesn't matter if it's good or bad if you know how to trade around the sentiment. Certain hedge funds use such data for their proprietary algorithms and it is not uncommon to see shared social sentiment play itself out in a stock's price trend. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in TXN with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for TXN NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on TXN: Texas Instruments Incorporated engages in the design, manufacture, sale of semiconductors to electronics designers and manufacturers worldwide. The company operates in four segments: Analog, Embedded Processing, Wireless, and Other. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 3%. TXN has a PE ratio of 23.4. Currently there are 9 analysts that rate Texas Instruments a buy, 5 analysts rate it a sell, and 19 rate it a hold. The average volume for Texas Instruments has been 8.2 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Texas Instruments has a market cap of $41.7 billion and is part of the technology sector and electronics industry. The stock has a beta of 1.28 and a short float of 2.3% with 3.02 days to cover. Shares are up 20.6% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Texas Instruments as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, increase in net income, notable return on equity, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and growth in earnings per share. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 45.45% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 35.98% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Turning to the future, naturally, any stock can fall in a major bear market. However, in almost any other environment, the stock should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed nice gains in the past year.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry. The net income increased by 36.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $265.00 million to $362.00 million.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry and the overall market, TEXAS INSTRUMENTS INC's return on equity exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Despite currently having a low debt-to-equity ratio of 0.52, it is higher than that of the industry average, inferring that management of debt levels may need to be evaluated further. Despite the fact that TXN's debt-to-equity ratio is mixed in its results, the company's quick ratio of 1.67 is high and demonstrates strong liquidity.
- TEXAS INSTRUMENTS INC has improved earnings per share by 45.5% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, TEXAS INSTRUMENTS INC reported lower earnings of $1.50 versus $1.87 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.72 versus $1.50).
- You can view the full Texas Instruments Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV