W. R. Berkley Corporation (NYSE: WRB) today reported net income for the second quarter of 2013 of $116 million, or 82 cents per share, compared with $109 million, or 76 cents per share, for the second quarter of 2012.
Summary Financial Data
(Amounts in thousands, except per share data)
|Second Quarter||Six Months|
|Gross premiums written||$||1,617,936||$||1,430,920||$||3,249,557||$||2,832,446|
|Net premiums written||1,341,898||1,190,991||2,718,864||2,394,517|
|Net income per diluted share||0.82||0.76||1.65||1.70|
|Operating income (1)||98,830||92,988||202,465||197,224|
|Operating income per diluted share||0.70||0.65||1.43||1.37|
|Return on equity (2)||10.8||%||11.0||%||10.8||%||12.4||%|
(1) Operating income is a non-GAAP financial measure defined by the Company as net income excluding after-tax net investment gains and after-tax debt extinguishment costs.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts