The Digital Skeptic: Getting Paid to Pick a Fight With the Internet
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Andrew Left simply cannot abide being left out.
"I bring up the points no sell-side research analyst wants to talk about," Left told me during one of our many bare-knuckle shout fests that technically count as phone interviews.
Left is founder and executive editor of Los Angeles-based Citron Research. And this essentially self-employed investor/analyst has spent more than a decade self-publishing some of the most derogatory, pugnacious -- yet surprisingly articulate -- investment arguments against the digital age's highest flyers.
"Citron challenges any reader to identify any publicly traded company that has lost money for 18 years in a row and is trading at an all-time high valuation," was my favorite line from the shot -- oh, sorry, the "story" -- Citron wrote about Indianapolis-based online referral service Angie's List. "Are they curing cancer? Are they solving the world's energy problems? No ... they are referring a plumber to you."high-profile divorce not only felt comfortable with his stated profession of stock trader, but felt it a fair split of the household resources to burden Left with paying $47,137 a month(!) in combined spousal and child support. "I have to be doing pretty well, right?" he said quietly, when I told him what I had dug up.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV