HOUSTON, July 22, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- With weather forecasters predicting an active hurricane season, BBVA Compass and the Houston Dynamo on Monday teamed up during the Houston Food Bank Challenge to finish assembling disaster relief boxes.
About 60 volunteers — including Dynamo forward Brian Ching and defender Bobby Boswell, as well as BBVA Compass and Dynamo employees — helped the Houston Food Bank surpass its goal of 22,500 boxes. Last week, the Dynamo held a Twitter contest to pick 10 fans to participate in the event.
"With the recent tornadoes in North Texas and Oklahoma, we're reminded how important it is to be prepared if or when disaster strikes," said BBVA Compass Director of Corporate Responsibility and Reputation Reymundo Ocanas. "Now that we'rein the middle of hurricane season, we want to help the Houston Food Bank be ready to serve the community's needs during an emergency."
Last month, Houston was listed as the No. 5 city on The Weather Channel's list of the "10 Most Vulnerable and Overdue Hurricane Cities.""The Dynamo is pleased to be partnering with BBVA Compass on another positive community initiative based around the Building a Better Houston campaign," said Dynamo President Chris Canetti. "We thank BBVA Compass for taking a leading role on this and are happy to support their efforts." The event is a continuation of the bank's Building a Better Houston initiative with the Dynamo, launched last year before the opening of BBVA Compass Stadium. In May, the bank and the Dynamo renovated a home in Houston's East End as part of the initiative. For more information on the campaign, visit http://www.houstondynamo.com/babh. About BBVA Group
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV