High Net Worth Investors Stash Cash while Looking for Openings
By Hal M. Bundrick
NEW YORK (MainStreet)--Not only is cash king, its reign is vast. An overwhelming 88% of one firm's investors are holding an average of 20% of their portfolio in cash. But apparently these investors will be looking to put some of this liquidity to work, as the survey of Fidelity Investments customers with at least $250,000 in investable assets also found that high-net-worth individuals are optimistic about the market. 81% believe the Dow Jones Industrial Average will be up at the end of 2013.
"Investors feel optimistic that the economic recovery in the U.S. is under way, yet the memory of the market downturn is causing that optimism to be tempered," said John Sweeney, a Fidelity executive vice president. "As investors feel more certain about job growth, encounter strong corporate earnings and better understand fiscal policy changes, they will invest in the market with more confidence. That confidence leads to better decision making and enables investors to withstand volatility in the market."
The survey found that more than three-quarters (77%) of high-net-worth investors expect to match or beat market performance this year. About half (48%) say the stock market is fairly valued while 17% feel it is undervalued. And more than three-quarters (77%) believe the bedrock of the economy, the housing market, will have a positive impact on the financial recovery through the end of 2013.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV