NEW YORK (
TheStreet) -- Given the free money available from the
Federal Reserve it is not surprising that only two of the 24 banks in the
PHLX KBW Banking Index
When I compare assets among the 'too big to fail" banks at the end of 2010 to the assets at the end of first quarter of 2013 three of the big four are bigger.
The table above shows that at the end of 2010 The FDIC Quarterly Banking Profile showed that the four TBTF banks accounted for 43.3% of the total assets in the banking system at $5.77 trillion. At the end of the first quarter 2013 these four banks added 10.1% to this for a total of $6.35 trillion, or 44.0% of all assets.
JP Morgan (JPM) ($56.16) was the biggest of the big at the end of 2010 with $1.76 trillion in assets or 13.2% of the total assets in the banking system. Since then to the end of the first quarter 2013 this bank increased assets by 17.7% to $2.07 trillion or 14.4% of the total assets in the banking system.Bank of America (BAC) was the second biggest bank at the end of 2010 with $1.54 trillion in assets or 11.6% of the total assets in the banking system. At the end of the first quarter of 2013, Bank of America continues to be in second place increasing assets by 6.3% to $1.64 trillion or 11.4% of the total assets in the banking system. Citigroup (C) was the third biggest at the end of 2010 with $1.31 trillion in assets or 9.8% of the total assets in the banking system. At the end of the first quarter 2013 Citi slipped into fourth place with a 0.24% decline in assets, and 9.1% of the total assets in the banking system.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV