Karmanos Cancer Center Launches Lung Cancer Screening Program To Help Detect Lung Cancer Early
DETROIT, July 22, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Center is launching a Lung Cancer Screening Program for adults with a history of smoking – both current and former smokers. The goal of the program is to help detect lung cancer early with the help of low-dose CT (computed tomography) scans. Karmanos is able to offer the lung cancer screening for the reduced cost of $100, thanks to the generous support of the Gianni Ferrarotti Lung Cancer Foundation which is partially underwriting the expense.
The National Lung Screening Trial (NLST), a study of over 50,000 current or former heavy smokers conducted by the National Institutes of Health, showed that screening using three annual CT scans can reduce the number of deaths from lung cancer. Studies show that, among high-risk adults, early detection of lung cancer through screening with a CT scan rather than a chest X-ray can reduce cancer death by 20 percent and overall death rate by seven percent."The findings from this national study are significant, which is why we want to provide this lung cancer screening here at Karmanos," said Shirish Gadgeel, M.D., leader of the thoracic multidisciplinary team at the Karmanos Cancer Institute. He added, "The multidisciplinary Thoracic Oncology team at Karmanos, consisting of experts focused only on lung cancer, is uniquely qualified to implement this important screening program. We are very grateful for the incredible support of the Gianni Ferrarotti Lung Cancer Foundation and the fund created at Karmanos to help put an end to this disease. This screening test is an opportunity to dramatically change the lung cancer mortality rate for those who have a long history of smoking." Founded in 2004, the Gianni Ferrarotti Lung Cancer Foundation is dedicated to increasing lung cancer awareness and supporting research that will lead to early detection and better treatment options. The foundation has raised more than $70,000 for the Gianni Ferrarotti Lung Cancer Research Fund at Karmanos and has also provided monetary support to numerous families who are in financial need, due to the impact of lung cancer. Lung cancer is one of the deadliest types of cancer and accounts for more deaths than any other cancer in both men and women. It's estimated that more than 159,400 people will die of lung cancer in the United States this year alone, representing about 27 percent of all cancer deaths. Any opportunity to help prevent this disease or detect it early through screening can result in less extensive treatment and better outcomes, and may help reduce mortality rates. Who is Eligible for Lung Cancer Screening?
- Men and women ages 55-75 who are current or former smokers and who've smoked at least one pack of cigarettes a day for 30 years. The NLST found that people in this age range with a history of smoking were most likely to benefit from this screening.
- The screening involves three consecutive annual CT scans of the chest. The screening scans are available at the Karmanos Cancer Center Weisberg Cancer Treatment Center in Farmington Hills.
- Karmanos will offer the initial lung cancer screening test for $100. Should there be a positive finding, future scans should be covered by insurance, otherwise the remaining two scans would also be charged the reduced out-of-pocket cost of $100 each.
- Any abnormality found on the CT should be followed up by the patient's primary health care provider or a specialist at the Karmanos Cancer Center.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV